PhD (Macq), BA(Hons) (UNE), MPHlth (a.e.g. Syd), Dip.Ed. (UNE), FACN (Hon), MPHA(NSW).
I am researching a number of history projects and talks including an entry for the Australian Dictionary of Biography and a webinar for the Australian College of Nursing.
Sample of Projects
- Consultant for a history of dietitians in Australia to 1950.
- Preparing a scoping document for Dietitians Australia for its history from 1950 to 1983.
- Consultant editor and historian for Bangalore Dies with Me. An historical reflection on the legacy and lives of three generations of Morant family pioneers on the heritage protected property ‘Bangalore” in Renmark, SA by Peter Loveday (Peter Loveday, Sydney, 2021)
- Commissioned history of the mental health organisation, Aftercare (now called Stride).
- Commissioned history of the Australian Pain Society.
- Consultant to TV series Love Child.
- Commissioned history of Crown Street Women’s Hospital.
- Senior Lecturer, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, 2005-08.
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Clinical Nursing, Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Sydney, 1999-2005.
- Head, Department of Behavioural and Social Sciences in Nursing, Faculty of Nursing, University of Sydney, 1995-99.
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (Research Program Coordinator), Centre for Teaching & Learning, University of Sydney (half-time secondment, 1992-95.
- Various academic positions in Sydney College of Advanced Education/University of Sydney, 1987-
Awards / Appointments
- Honorary Associate in the Department of History, School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, The University of Sydney, 2008-11; 2016-22.
- Honorary Member of the Australian and New Zealand Society of the History of Medicine.
- Patron, Ryde District Historical Society, Ryde, NSW, 2014 – current.
- Honorary Fellow of the Australian College of Nursing, conferred 2011.
- Co-authored Nursing before Nightingale 1815-1899 selected an Outstanding Academic Title by Choice: Current Reviews for Academic Libraries. The citation reads: ‘Comprising just over 9 percent of the more than 25,000 titles submitted to Choice in 2012, Outstanding Academic Titles are the “the best of the best”.’
- American Association for the History of Nursing’s Lavinia L. Dock Award for Exemplary Historical Research and Writing for co-authored Nursing before Nightingale 1815-1899,
- My Lucy Osburn, a lady displaced. Florence Nightingale’s envoy to Australia, Sydney University Press, 2006, short-listed for the National Biography Award, 2008.
- Awarded ad eundem gradum Master of Public Health, University of Sydney, 2008.
- Presented the International Nurses’ Day Oration, University of Sunshine Coast, 12 May 2008.
- H. Currey Memorial Fellow, State Library of NSW, 2002.
I have training and experience as a teacher in special education, high schools (English/History), and at the University of Sydney. I have given frequent guest lectures and successfully taught at all levels from first year undergraduate to supervising students at doctoral level.
I am an experienced thesis examiner, mostly at doctoral level. The most recent theses I have examined are from Macquarie University, the Universities of Manchester, Auckland, Sydney, Queensland, the Australian Catholic University, and the University of New England.
For details of Judith’s publications click here.
For details of Judith’s teaching and speaking speaking engagements click here.